Winter Programming 2021
WESA is happy to announce registration is open for our 2021 Winter programs, Sunday Night Futsal, and Indoor PDP. Parents can register for each program individually or can save money by registering for both at the same time through the link below. Registration and payment link are at the bottom of the page. If you have any questions with regards to our programs, please contact the WESA office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the ongoing pandemic, WESA must follow protocols set out by CBCS and Gunnison County on using indoor gyms for our programs. Please see below for CBCS COVID Gym Protocols that MUST be followed.
CBCS COVID GYM PROTOCOLS
- Masks must be worn at ALL times by coaches and players.
- Health screening including a temperature check will be conducted at the beginning of each session.
- The entrance and exit of the gym facilities will be on the backside of the school (not the front/main entrance).
- Participants will NOT be allowed to leave the gym area.
- Please bring your own water from home as water fountains will not be available to use.
Sunday Night Futsal
If our players are exposed to the actual game of Futsal and, in the early stages coaching is kept to a minimum, then very quickly they will develop a “feel” for the game. These players will also enjoy the Futsal experience so much more as this approach becomes more about playing than formal coaching. Once players see Futsal as a real option for their future development then they will look for more information from the coach. Coaching within this program will ideally be structured so that no more than 25% of the total session time is taken up by pure technical delivery on behalf of the coach, and the remainder is allocated to playing the game.
Teams will play 5v5 with subs if needed
Requirements: Please bring indoor shoes that are different to the ones used to walk into the school, water (that can’t be shared), and shin guards.
Player of the Week is awarded at the end of each session, based around the ‘Topic of that Week’.
- Week 1 – Play and Move (dribbling, beating a player, passing)
- Week 2 – Controlling the Ball (mainly using the sole of the foot)
- Week 3 – Passing to Play Forwards (use of the toe, and accurate passes)
- Week 4 – Feinting to Move/Play (1v1, Reading the game to create intelligent movement to create time and space)
- Week 5 – Running with the Ball/Dribbling (lots of touches, using the sole, knowing when to counter quickly)
- Week 6 – Shooting (far post runs, use of the toe punt, setbacks to shoot)
- Week 7 – Recap of one of the first 6 weeks topics (based on what the age group needs)
- Week 8 – Recap of one of the first 6 weeks topics (based on what the age group needs)
Benefits of Futsal
- Players touch the ball up to 210% more than playing indoor soccer with walls
- Presents many opportunities to score, with limited space, out of bounds, constant pressure, ball skills constantly improve.
- Maximizes active participation due to 5v5 nature, action is continuous, so players have no time to stop and watch
- Encourages regaining possession of the ball as a method of defending
- Players enjoy the fast paced, skill orientated game that tests their abilities, allowing the game to be the teacher
- An increase of 35% in the number of passes
- An increase of 260% in the number of shooting attempts
- An increase of 500% in the number of goals scored
- An increase of 225% in the number of 1v1 encounters
- An increase of 280% in the number of dribbling moves (inc skills & tricks)
A quick guide on Futsal rules – CLICK HERE
SUNDAY NIGHT FUTSAL & INDOOR PDP COMBINED PROGRAM INFORMATION
COST: 10U-19U $265
COMBINED REGISTRATION DEADLINE: December 18, 2020. Registrations after 12/18/20 will not be elgible for the combinded program fee, you will need to register for each program individually and late registration fees will apply.
SUNDAY NIGHT FUTSAL PROGRAM INFORMATION
PROGRAM DATES: EVERY SUNDAY, January 3 – February 21, 2021
PROGRAM COST: $150
PROGRAM DEADLINE: December 18, 2020. Registrations AFTER 12/18/20 will incur a $25 late registration fee. Registrations will not be allowed after 12/29/20.
LOCATION: CBCS HS Gym and CBCS MS Gym
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE: CLICK HERE
Age groups will be merged boys and girls unless enough players register per age group to split to the schedule above. Registration numbers will dictate how we are able to split up the gym usage between age groups. If schedules were to change, we will notify everyone ahead of time, we plan to keep age groups as close to the scheduled times above as possible to allow for planning.
Indoor PDP (Player Development Program) is all about developing first touch and quick thinking, players will be put into sessions that constantly provide this kind of challenge level. A player who can think quickly will always be a success on a soccer field. We want all our players to be creative, thinking before the moment has even happened and knowing what they are going to do on the ball before they receive it. Players will go through a 6 week program to improve their first touch, decision making, pass variety, working in tight spaces, movement on and off the ball, body position to receive the ball, individual technique development and much more. All of this with the fun element of Futsal type scrimmages thrown in there to use all the skills above in game situations.
10U - 19U: One x 2-hour sessions per week.
NOTE: High school players will be able to participate as this progam is on Sundays and will not conflict with their Spring high school season.
Age groups will be merged boys and girls unless enough players register per age group to split
TENTATIVE PRACTICE SCHEDULE - COMING SOON
Practices will be split into 3 sections with the overall aim of developing the mind, feet, comfort levels on the ball and FUN.
- SAQ with and without a ball
- Technical/Skill sessions with a ball
Small-sided scrimmage (Futsal)
What is SAQ? – Speed, Agility and Quickness. All three are incredibly important components of soccer. Development of brain and body connection occur with repetition during high intensity SAQ training session. All athletes can benefit from improved balance, quicker feet, and a faster reaction time. This is what SAQ drills help achieve through good repetition. All SAQ work is easily transferable across multiple sports and benefits the player in everything they do outside of soccer.
A quick guide on Futsal rules – CLICK HERE
INDOOR PDP PROGRAM INFORMATION
PROGRAM DATES: SUNDAY, February 28 – April 4, 2021
COST: 10U-19U $150. Regisrations AFTER 2/21/21 will incur a $25 late registration fee.
PROGRAM REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Sunday, February 21, 2021
Drop in rates are not availble for these programs. You must register for the entire session for the program(s).
Due to the uncertainty of COVID, if WESA has to cancel any sessions/weeks due to Gunnison County moving to YELLOW on the Gunnison County Coronameter you will be eligible for a refund for the weeks canceled. (Please note that indoor youth sports are unable to operate if Gunnison County is in the YELLOW on the Gunnison County Coronameter.)
Refunds, for this reason, are as follows:
- The $25 registration fee is non-refundable.
- You are eligible to receive a weekly refund for sessions canceled by WESA due to COVID Futsal $15 per week; PDP $20 per week
- You will need to request your refund by emailing westelksoccer@gmail by the last day of the scheduled program.
- Refer to WESA Refund Policy for refunds outside of COVID cancellations: WESA Refund Policy
Financial Aid is available and is due by Monday, December 14, 2020, for both Sunday Night Futsal and Indoor PDP.
CBCS COVID Gym Usage Policy COMING SOON